Tuesday, May 19, 2015

6th appointment post-op

   I have been officially diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  I was disappointed in myself and worried about the effects on Jackson.  When I spoke with the doctor she said that she was shocked that I failed because all of the other tests that I had taken prior (A1C) was good, but said that we were going to figure this out.

   Dr. Bennett explained that gestational diabetes is treatable and that we are going to try and treat it with diet first.  If I can't get my numbers down then we will look at the road of an oral medicine.  She then went on to explain that while pregnant, the placenta produces an insulin resistant hormone which could lead to gestational diabetes.  I'm growing Jackson, the Super Boy, so I need a super placenta! :)

   I have to start testing my blood 4 times a day: before breakfast and then 2 hours after each meal.  I'm not a fan of needles in any case, but the thought of me poking myself doesn't get me excited.  My before eating level needs to be below 95 and my 2 hours after eating needs to be below 120.  I was scheduled to meet with a dietitian, but Dr. Bennett didn't like the idea of me having to wait in another wait room.  Instead I meet with Emily and she gave me some guidelines to follow and told me that there are a ton of resources online that I can look at.  I have my homework for the night. :)  

   As usual, Jackson looked great!  He was moving a lot during the ultrasound, but made sure to keep his legs up by his chest and his hands up by his face.  He better get used to having his pictures taken by the time he makes his arrival.  His ventricles are still the same as last week - great news!  My amniotic fluid was at a great level and there didn't appear to be any leaks or anything.  My incision (inside and outside) looks great and there aren't any signs of it pulling.  Overall, we both recieved another gold star!

Crystal
_________________________________________________________________________________

Jax,

   We made it to 30 weeks baby boy!  We only have 7 more weeks to go - hang tight and keep getting stronger.  I thought I had figured out your sleep schedule, but I guess you decided to change it up. I'm not complaining though.  You used to be really active after 10pm, but now your most active time is after lunch.  While I would love to be able to say that I'm sleeping more at night, that isn't the case. I'm waking up every 2-3 hours with you playing basketball on my bladder, but it's OK, play away!

   I hope that I am able to get my blood sugar under control and not have to get put on to an oral medication.  I'm going to try my hardest - if nothing else, I am very much determined to do what is best for you.  You kept making sweet little faces during the ultrasound, but you being the stinker that you are, the tech couldn't get a good picture.  Once you're here little one, you won't have a choice on getting your picture made.  :)

Love you always,
Mommy    



No comments:

Post a Comment