Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Update from hospital #4

   We made it to 33 weeks!  One week past our goal of 32 and 10 weeks post-op.  Where has the time gone?  How is it possible that it's already been 10 weeks since Jackson and I had the surgery?  We had our reevaluation this morning to check on my amniotic fluid level.  I went in with hopes of going home, but what I got was a complete shock.

   My fluid level has decreased since Monday.  On Monday I was sitting at an 8.5 and today I was at 6.4.  That is quite a decrease in one day.  I knew instantly that I wasn't going to be going home today.  My heart sank and I became very frustrated.  I just don't understand how my fluid level not only dropped, but dropped a lot in one day when I was still receiving IV fluids and drinking water like a fish.

   Jackson of course looked amazing on the ultrasound.  He had the hiccups, opened and closed his eyes, and was practice breathing the entire time.  He is still in the breech position, but was laying in a way that Alicia could get some great pictures of him.  Finally!  His legs were still in the way a little bit, but for the most part, we got the best 3D images thus far.  My sweet boy has chubby cheeks and the sweetest little lips.  :)

   We were sent back over to the hospital after the ultrasound to wait on Dr. Bennett to get out of a meeting.  While we were waiting I got the rest of my IV fluids and my mind began working a mile a minute.  What would Dr. Bennett say?  Was I still going to be able to go home?  What's the plan of action?  Question after question, but nothing prepared me for what was going to actually be said.

   Dr. Bennett explained that my placenta shows more signs of aging than the other day.  There are more "florets" that have formed and more calcification around the edges.  I was given three options: have Jackson tomorrow, have him on Friday, or possibly have him on Monday.  Having Jackson as early as tomorrow never even crossed by mind this morning.  To say that I was shocked and blindsided was an understatement.  So many questions raced through my head, but I couldn't make myself ask them.  I couldn't get my thoughts together.

   Dr. Bennett and I discussed the three options that were presented.  She explained that while we could try and wait til Monday, she felt that she would end up coming in on Saturday or Sunday and end up having to do an emergency c-section.  She truly felt that my placenta wouldn't hold out that long.  That left us with the option of either tomorrow or Friday.  She feels that it would be best to have him tomorrow instead of taking the risk and waiting until Friday.  In her view, having him tomorrow is the safest option.

   I trust Dr. Bennett and Dr. Carroll completely, so with that being said, Jackson will make his arrival tomorrow (6/11/15) via c-section!  My sweet boy will be born at 33 weeks and 1 day.  I'm absolutely terrified, but excited at the same time.  Neither Dr. Bennett nor Dr. Carroll expressed any concerns with Jackson being born so early.  We know that he will be taken to the NICU over at Children's Hospital, but we don't know how long his stay will be.  I can only hope and pray that he is just as strong, if not stronger, outside of the womb as he has been inside.  I still can't believe that I'm going to be a mommy tomorrow.  I'm going to finally get to meet my super boy!

Crystal

                

No comments:

Post a Comment