Thursday, June 4, 2015

Update from Hospital

Wednesday:
   Well, I'm working on about 2 hours of sleep!  I didn't fall asleep until 3:30am and was woken up at 4:30am to start my IV fluids.  I wasn't able to fall back asleep until 12:00pm and only slept for 45 minutes or an hour and I was awake for the rest of the day.  To say that I'm tired is an understatement.

   Dr. Bennett came to check on me and to see how I was feeling.  I wish that everyone could get to know her.  She truly is an amazing person inside and out and I will never be able to thank her enough for all that she has done for Jackson and I.  She expressed her determination to get my mind back on track of thinking positive.  I need to go back to the attitude I had before the surgery and stop worrying so much.  She is absolutely correct and after speaking with her and my mom, I feel much better.  Jackson and I are in best of hands at the best place to be.  

   The nurse gave me a nonstress test today to check on Jackson.  The test involves attaching one belt to my belly to measure fetal heart rate and another belt to measure contractions for 20-30 minutes.  The primary goal of the test is to measure the heart rate of the baby in response to its own movements. Healthy babies will respond with an increased heart rate during times of movement, and the heart rate will decrease at rest.  The concept behind a non-stress test is that adequate oxygen is required for fetal activity and heart rate to be within normal ranges.  How did Jackson do?  He passed of course!

   I received my second dose of the steroid.  Thank goodness I only have to get two!  Dr. Bennett put in an order for Ambien so that I can get some sleep tonight.  Hopefully it will knock me out and get me caught up.  If it doesn't, I guess I'll be counting ceiling tiles again.


Thursday:
   The Ambien worked - Yay!  I fell asleep very quickly and stayed asleep for hours - it was wonderful.  The nurse came in at 6:00am to start my IV fluid.  I'm nervous to go be reevaluated.  I have it in my mind that I'm staying in the hospital over the weekend.  Not because I'm being negative, but because I'm trying to be realistic and not get sideswiped if it turns out to be the case that I have to stay - which it did.

   My amniotic fluid level has come up - whoo hoo - but only to an 8.  So, I will be staying in the hospital over the weekend.  To have been able to go home today, my fluid level needed to be over a 10.  So close, yet so far. Staying in the hospital is the best thing for us though because I will be getting daily IV fluid treatments.  Dr. Bennett originally thought that my low fluid level was due to dehydration.  She didn't mention it at the appointment and I forgot to ask, so hopefully everything will be better by Monday when I go for another check up.      

   I've been having these strange red, hot spots show up on my upper arms and cheeks.  Dr. Bennett thinks that they are from the steroid shots.  She wasn't too concerned about them and told me to ask for some Tylenol to help with the heat.  Hopefully they will disappear in a few days when the steroids work themselves out of my system.

   Jackson was moving and grooving on the ultrasound again.  Dr. Bennett even said "Look at him go" at one point!  He was showing off his breathing skills and has even rotated a little bit.  He is still in the breech position, but he now appears to be sitting on his bottom.  Dr. Bennett thinks he could be starting to rotate.  Since this wasn't our normal appointment the tech didn't measure his ventricles or anything.  This appointment was specific to look at the fluid level and to check on Jackson's movement.

   Since I'm going to be in the hospital over the weekend we had to postpone my baby shower.  I'm really disappointed, but at the same time, I know that it's for the best.  Everyone that all of us got in contact with seemed to understand and immediately sent their well wishes and prayers our way.  I'm thinking that once Jackson is born we will have a "Welcome Jackson" party.  This way everyone can meet him and see how amazing he truly is.  :)
       

   

No comments:

Post a Comment